Senior Electrical Engineer - Generation Power Engineering
Company: National Grid USA
Posted on: January 16, 2020
Every day we deliver safe and secure energy to homes, communities,
and businesses. We are there when people need us the most. We
connect people to the energy they need for the lives they live. The
pace of change in society and our industry is accelerating and our
expertise and track record puts us in an unparalleled position to
shape the sustainable future of our industry.
To be successful we must anticipate the needs of our customers,
reducing the cost of energy delivery today and pioneering the
flexible energy systems of tomorrow. This requires us to deliver on
our promises and always look for new opportunities to grow, both
ourselves and our business.
National Grid is hiring a Senior Electrical Engineer for our
Generation Power Engineering Department in our Hicksville, NY
The Senior Electrical Engineer reports to the Electrical
Engineering Manager in PED. This role supports emerging renewable
technology opportunities and provide solutions on legacy generating
assets in a matrix organizational structure. The position is
responsible to research, develop and implement power supply and
storage technologies that capitalize on the evolving energy market
in New York, Massachusetts and Rhode Island. The position will
coordinate, perform and review technical studies related to the
interconnection of proposed new generation, energy storage,
transmission, and load facilities serving the load serving
entities. Review proposed project facilities, including the
conceptual design for interconnection of the project to the
transmission system and local transmission owners distribution
system. Support associated modeling data provided for the project,
provide technical coordination with others involved in the
performance of interconnection studies including the project
developers, Transmission Owners, consultants, and others as
applicable. This position is responsible to perform technical,
financial and operational evaluations of new and existing assets in
support of the respective capital improvement process.
Project assessments shall include, but are not limited to,
alternate design options, business alternatives, cost/benefit
analysis, risk analysis and project performance evaluations. This
position will include project engineer and project manager
responsibilities. The engineer will evaluate all aspects of project
design, licensing, procurement, construction, commissioning and
operations. This role is responsible to develop specifications,
standards and procedures on projects. The person in this role will
participate in industry groups and forums to support objectives.
This position is an essential contributor to our goal of asset
management and technology modernization.Key Accountabilities
- Serve as the project engineer and/or project manager during the
design, construction and operation of projects on existing
generating assets and new energy development opportunities.
- Provide technical evaluations of new energy development
projects and alternatives in areas like energy storage, solar and
- Evaluate new and emerging technologies for application on new
projects and existing assets.
- Establish relationships with National Grid and business
partners to effectively collaborate on new energy business
opportunities like energy storage, solar collectors and combustion
- Provide guidance to Generation personnel, vendors, internal and
external partners on current and future project requirements.
- Provide effective communication with Generation personnel,
partners, vendors, load serving entities, internal and external
stakeholders on all projects to promote the effective
implementation of projects.
- Serve as the technical consultant throughout project
development, construction, commissioning and operation on existing
- Perform safety, environmental and financial risk analysis.
- Perform engineering calculations and studies to support project
- Develop specifications, standards and procedures for
- Develop cost estimates, benefit analysis and risk assessment on
- Develop interconnect agreements.
- Develop conceptual and final designs for proposed project
Supervisory/Interpersonal- Experience Required
- Bachelor's degree in Electrical Engineering or other discipline
with demonstrated capabilities in Electrical Engineering.
- Auto proficiency
- NYS Intern Engineer Certification or Professional Engineering
- Minimum of 4 years of related work experience.
- Energetic, creative, capable and committed to promoting
innovative ideas and achieving or exceeding objectives.
- Self-starter comfortable leading and managing project
- Analytical and solution-based thinking necessary.
- Work independently and collaboratively on multiple projects,
including high visibility initiatives.
- Comfortable with ambiguity and change.
- Capable of working in a matrix organization and achieve
- Proficient in MS Word, Excel and Power Point applications.
Managing projects with internal and external team members.
- Power generating, transmission and distribution equipment;
generators, transformers and switchgear.
- Project design, management, development, construction,
commissioning and operation.
- Power system planning or design, with focus on transmission
system facilities preferred.
- NYISO Large Generator Interconnect Process and Small Generator
- Project cost/benefit, risk analysis, licensing and permitting
- Energy storage equipment, solar and electric generating
- Communicating technological ideas, technical designs and
engineering concepts to internal and external stakeholders.
- Industry trends and innovation in battery storage, solar, steam
turbine and combustion turbine technology.
- Reliability and Electrical standards and codes (i.e. UL,
- Knowledge of ISO interconnect standards.
- Valid drivers license required with a safe driving history that
meets National Grids Safe Driver policy
This position has a career path which provides for advancement
opportunities within and across bands as you develop and evolve in
the position; gaining experience, expertise and acquiring and
applying technical skills. Internal candidates will be assessed and
provided offers against the minimum qualifications of this role and
their individual experience.
National Grid is an equal opportunity employer that values a broad
diversity of talent, knowledge, experience and expertise. We foster
a culture of inclusion that drives employee engagement to deliver
superior performance to the communities we serve. National Grid is
proud to be an affirmative action employer. We encourage
minorities, women, individuals with disabilities and protected
veterans to join the National Grid team.
Keywords: National Grid USA, Hicksville , Senior Electrical Engineer - Generation Power Engineering, Engineering , Hicksville, New York
Didn't find what you're looking for? Search again!