Senior Engineer, Mechanical Engineering
Company: National Grid USA
Posted on: June 27, 2020
Every day we deliver safe and secure energy to homes, communities,
and businesses. We are there when people need us the most. We
connect people to the energy they need for the lives they live. The
pace of change in society and our industry is accelerating and our
expertise and track record puts us in an unparalleled position to
shape the sustainable future of our industry.
To be successful we must anticipate the needs of our customers,
reducing the cost of energy deliverytoday and pioneering the
flexible energy systems of tomorrow. This requires us to deliver on
our promises and always look for new opportunities to grow, both
ourselves and our business.
National Grid is hiring a Senior Mechanical Engineer for our Power
Engineering department in Hicksville, NY.Job Purpose
The Mechanical Engineer reports to the Mechanical Engineering
Manager in the Power Engineering Department (PED) and will support
internal and external team members collaborating on new project
development opportunities and improvements to our existing fleet of
steam and gas turbine units on Long Island. This position is
responsible to research, develop and implement power supply and
storage technologies that capitalize on the evolving energy market
in New York. The person in this role is also responsible to assess
and implement established and new technologies on our existing
steam and combustion turbine generating units as part of the
capital improvement process. Project assessments shall include, but
are not limited to, different design options, business
alternatives, cost/benefit analysis, risk analysis and project
performance evaluations. This position will include project
engineer and project manager responsibilities on any new projects.
The engineer will evaluate all aspects of project design,
licensing, procurement, construction, commissioning and operations
on all projects. This role is responsible to develop
specifications, standards and procedures on projects. The person in
this role will participate in industry groups and forums to support
objectives. This position is an essential contributor to our goal
of asset management and technology modernization.Key
- Serve as the project engineer and project manager during the
design, construction and operation of projects on existing
- Provide technical guidance on equipment and system upgrades to
existing generating assets.
- Provide technical evaluations of new energy development
projects and alternatives in areas like energy storage, solar and
- Identify new and emerging technologies to incorporate into
energy supply and storage proposals.
- Establish relationships with National Grid and business
partners to effectively collaborate on new energy business
opportunities like energy storage, solar and combustion
- Research and evaluate new products, technologies and systems
that offer value to the customer and load serving entity.
- Provide guidance to Generation personnel, vendors, internal
National Grid partners and external partners on current and future
- Serve as technical consultant throughout project development,
construction, commissioning and operation.
- Develop project cost estimates and benefit analysis.
Supervisory/Interpersonal- Experience Required
- Bachelor's degree in Mechanical Engineering is required.
Advanced degree preferred.
- NYS Intern Engineer Certification or Professional Engineering
- 5 to 10 years of related work experience.
- Valid drivers license required with a safe driving history that
meets National Grids Safe Driver policy.
- Energetic, creative, capable and committed to promoting
innovative ideas and achieving or exceeding objectives.
- Self-starter comfortable leading and managing project
- Able to engage and lead others to successful results on
- Analytical and solution based thinking necessary.
- Work independently and collaboratively on multiple projects,
including high visibility initiatives.
- Comfortable with ambiguity and change.
- Capable of working in a matrix organization and achieve
- Proficient in MS Word, Excel and Power Point applications.
- Experience in managing internal and external project teams,
with power generating equipment and support systems, all phases of
project management including product development,, construction,
commissioning and operation.
- Experience in project cost/benefit and risk analysis, with
energy storage equipment, solar and electric generating systems and
in communicating technological ideas, technical designs and
engineering concepts to internal and external stakeholders.
- Knowledge of industry trends and innovations in battery
storage, solar collectors and combustion turbines, project
licensing and permitting processes, and mechanical standards and
codes (i.e. ASME).
This position has a career path which provides for advancement
opportunities within and across bands as you develop and evolve in
the position; gaining experience, expertise and acquiring and
applying technical skills. Internal candidates will be assessed and
provided offers against the minimum qualifications of this role and
their individual experience.
National Grid is an equal opportunity employer that values a broad
diversity of talent, knowledge, experience and expertise. We foster
a culture of inclusion that drives employee engagement to deliver
superior performance to the communities we serve. National Grid is
proud to be an affirmative action employer. We encourage
minorities, women, individuals with disabilities and protected
veterans to join the National Grid team.
Keywords: National Grid USA, Hicksville , Senior Engineer, Mechanical Engineering, Engineering , Hicksville, New York
Didn't find what you're looking for? Search again!