Associate Engineer, Reliability, Power Plant Engineering
Company: National Grid USA
Posted on: October 18, 2020
Every day we deliver safe and secure energy to homes, communities,
and businesses. We are there when people need us the most. We
connect people to the energy they need for the lives they live. The
pace of change in society and our industry is accelerating and our
expertise and track record puts us in an unparalleled position to
shape the sustainable future of our industry.
To be successful we must anticipate the needs of our customers,
reducing the cost of energy delivery today and pioneering the
flexible energy systems of tomorrow. This requires us to deliver on
our promises and always look for new opportunities to grow, both
ourselves and our business.
National Grid is Hiring an Associate Engineer for our Power
Engineering deartment in Hicksville, NY.Job Purpose
The Mechanical Engineer reports to the Reliability Engineering
Manager in PED and will support internal and external team members
collaborating on new projects and improvements to our existing
fleet of steam and combustion turbine units on Long Island. This
position is responsible to inspect, evaluate, and design structural
supports for high energy piping and critical fuel piping. The
person in this role is responsible to assess and implement
improvements to the existing steam and combustion turbine units as
part of the capital improvement and maintenance processes.
Responsibilities include, but are not limited to, performing
nondestructive examinations, piping structural analysis, ,
cost/benefit analysis, risk analysis and project performance
evaluations. This position will include field engineer, project
engineer, project design and project manager responsibilities on
projects. The engineer will evaluate all aspects of mechanical
assessment, material selection, project design, procurement,
construction, commissioning and operations on all projects. This
role is responsible to develop drawings, specifications, standards
and procedures on projects. This position is an essential
contributor to our goal of asset management and technology
modernization. This role works collaboratively with NDE
Specialists, NDE consultants, PED Analysts, PED Designers, PED
Engineers, generating plant personnel and service organization
personnel to achieve common objectives.Key Accountabilities
- Reports to the Reliability Engineering Manager of the
Generation Power Engineering Dept.
- Report findings and recommendations to the customer.
- Perform condition assessment inspections of high energy piping,
piping supports and boiler components.
- Competencies in NDE (Nondestructive Examination) and mechanical
- Perform piping surveys (hot and cold piping/support
- Specify and evaluate nondestructive testing.
- Work with plant staffs and engineers to establish pipe sizing.
piping routing and piping support structures.
- Project engineer and/or project manager during the design,
construction and operation of projects on existing generating
assets and new energy development opportunities.
- Perform engineering calculations in accordance with latest
codes and industry standards.
- Develop specifications, standards and procedures for
Supervisory/Interpersonal- Experience Required
- Experience building relationships with both internal and
- Bachelor's degree in Mechanical Engineering is required.
- NYS Engineer -in-Training (EIT) preferred.
- 1-2 years experience in power plant mechanical projects or
- Experience working with other engineering disciplines.
- Familiar with AutoCAD
- Familiar with pipe stress analysis application programs.
- Familiar with non-destructive examination methods (NDE)
- Familiar with piping inspection and structural installation
- Experience in project management, construction, commissioning
and operation preferred.
- Energetic, creative and committed to promoting innovative ideas
and achieving or exceeding objectives.
- Self-starter who is comfortable leading and managing project
- Able to engage and lead others to successful results on
- Analytical and solution based thinking necessary.
- Work independently and collaboratively on multiple projects,
including high visibility initiatives.
- Comfortable with ambiguity and change.
- Capable of working in a matrix organization and achieve
- Proficient in MS Word, Excel, Outlook and Power Point
- Effective verbal and written skills.
- Capable of working in a power plant environment
- Capable of recognizing hazards, learning and implementing
- Valid NYS Drivers License
This position has a career path which provides for advancement
opportunities within and across bands as you develop and evolve in
the position; gaining experience, expertise and acquiring and
applying technical skills. Internal candidates will be assessed and
provided offers against the minimum qualifications of this role and
their individual experience.
National Grid is an equal opportunity employer that values a broad
diversity of talent, knowledge, experience and expertise. We foster
a culture of inclusion that drives employee engagement to deliver
protected veterans to join the National Grid team.superior
performance to the communities we serve. National Grid is proud to
be an affirmative action employer. We encourage minorities, women,
individuals with disabilities and
Keywords: National Grid USA, Hicksville , Associate Engineer, Reliability, Power Plant Engineering, Engineering , Hicksville, New York
Didn't find what you're looking for? Search again!