Wide Area Network Engineer
Posted on: September 12, 2018
Requisition ID: 50830
Job Function/Category: Information Technology
Employment Type: Exempt Full Time
This is an exciting time to be joining PSEG. Our commitments, which include safety, integrity, customer focus, and diversity & inclusion, are the fabric of our culture and help drive the success of our business. We are fortunate to have an outstanding workforce of diverse and highly skilled talent who move us forward in our operational excellence journey. PSEG has more than 12,000 employees who are dedicated to the communities we serve and embody our vision: People providing Safe, Reliable, Economic and Greener Energy
Manages and directs one or more IT project teams to meet project objectives implementing IT infrastructure solutions. Depending upon the level of the position, these projects may be small to mid-size and generally low to medium in impact, cost and complexity, or may be key strategic IT projects for PSEG with high impact, large budgets and significant complexity. This position is a direct report to the Mgr Infrastructure Delivery & IT Eng accountable for the telecommunications area.
This is a multi-level position, with compensation and title assigned dependent upon the skills and experience of the candidate: Lead Consultant and Lead Sr Consultant - IPO/APO.
- Works with various individuals to execute IT infrastructure projects through the PSEG's IT project delivery methodology. This includes identifying, specifying and analyzing requirements and processes, managing progress throughout the design, test and implementation process. Projects are technically difficult, requiring innovative and creative solutions and frequently involve multiple platforms, software, hardware, technologies and tools.
- Ensures alignment with clients on scope, value proposition and overall project goals throughout the project. Works with all stakeholders to coordinate testing, installation, training and support. Coordinates the purchasing, installation and testing of selected vendor hardware and software.
- Documents business requirements, feasibility studies, and cost justification statements. Produces written documentation for proposals which describe solutions to business problems, including the software/equipment recommended, the cost of the software/equipment, and the time required to successfully (and fully) implement the solution. Documents are to include various dimensions such as simplicity, flexibility, strategy alignment as well as the cost to achieve.
- Contributes to and/or leads drafting of statements of work and/or RFPs to secure 3rd party services required to achieve business objectives. Leads the effort to select 3rd party services to execute projects and manages on-boarding and collaborative working relationship with selected Vendors.
- Oversees the work of the 3rd party to ensure delivered scope meets requirements and service level agreements.
- Develops and/or reviews, evaluates and formulates project plans, schedules and budgets.
- Ensures required change management activities to drive solution adoption take place as necessary.
- Researches and evaluates new or alternative solutions and recommends alternatives which will assist business management in attaining their strategic objectives.
- Serves as domain expert in the area of responsibility. Creates and maintains standards and asset lifecycles for the assigned areas of responsibility.
- As needed, provides highly technical consulting to IT operations as it relates to procedures, standards, and issues.
- Contributes to the disaster recovery plan and implements and modifies solutions when necessary
- Keeps informed of technical and managerial advances in IT, including leading the introduction of best practices. Works independently with little or no supervision, works well in a team setting while demonstrating diversity and inclusion of ideas of project team members as well as others within PSEG.
- Performs related duties as assigned or requested.Required Skills, Competencies, Education and Experience:
- Bachelor's degree in Computer Science or a related field and 4 or more years of related work experience in IT for Lead Consultant. For a Lead Sr Consultant, a bachelor's degree in Computer Science or a related field and at least 6 or more years of related work experience in IT. Without a degree, at least 8 or more years of related work experience in IT.
- Demonstrated leadership capabilities through projects or other work planning experiences,
- Good to excellent leadership, technical teamwork and interpersonal skills,
- Deep knowledge and documented track record of solution design, implementation and support in data and converged network infrastructure including most of the following:
- Software Define Network technologies and network automation
- Routing Protocols including EIGRP and BGP, LANs and LAN Protocols,
- Wireless LANs, Wireless WANs, Wireless Mesh networks
- Network Management tools,
- WAN optimization (Cisco WAAS products)
- Virtual Private Networks (VPNs),
- Firewalls, Web Application Firewalls
- Licensed Radio and Microwave carrier based WAN networks
- Working with carriers/vendors to design and implement WAN architectures.
- WAN traffic management and oversight utilizing QoS
- Drafting and maintaining network hardware, design and configuration standards
- Demonstrated experience managing outsourced vendors (on and off shore) within the information technology field
- Good to strong facilitation skills; strong judgment, management skills and analytical ability
- Ability to foster working relationships with other members of the IT team, IT Management and employees in departments across the Company
- Ability to explain technical concepts to the business users in the context of business requirements.
- Knowledgeable of techniques to effectively elicit requirements from end-users, individually or as a group (e.g. prototyping)
- Ability to define performance and scalability attributes, constraints, and other nonfunctional requirements
- A strong methodical approach to troubleshooting technology issues.
- Ability to make recommendations and engineer projects from conception to successful implementation.
- Proven ability to multitask and manage multiple projects in a cross-functional, mixed matrix environment.
- Excellent communication, interpersonal, organizational and team building skills,
- Excellent business judgment.
- Strong change management experience, requirements management and process knowledge.
- Familiarity with managing software projects.Desired Skills, Competencies, Education and Experience:
- Desired knowledge in SCADA networks, network protocols and associated industry security and compliance standards such as NERC CIP.
- Advanced degree, e.g. Masters of Business Administration, MS in Computer Science or Information Systems.
- Cisco certifications - e.g., Certified Internetwork Professional (CCIP), Cisco Certified Network Professional (CCNP), Cisco Certified Design Associate (CCDA), Cisco Certified Network Associate (CCNA), Cisco Certified Entry Networking Technician (CCENT) etc.
- Certified Information Systems Security Professional (CISSP).
As an employee of PSE&G or PSEG Long Island, you should be aware that during storm restoration efforts, you may be required to perform functions outside of your routine duties and on a schedule that may be different from normal operations.
This site (http://www.pseg.com) is strictly for candidates who are not currently PSEG employees. PSEG employees must apply for jobs internally through empower which can be accessed through the mypseg homepage by clicking on the employee center tab, then under the empower header, choose careers.
Business needs may cause PSEG to cancel or delay filling position at any time during the selection process
Public Service Enterprise Group (PSEG) is an equal opportunity employer, dedicated to a policy of non-discrimination in employment, including the hiring process, based on any legal protected characteristic. Legally protected characteristics included, race, color, religion, national origin, sex, age, marital status, sexual orientation, disability, or veteran status or any other characteristic protected by federal, state, or local law in locations where PSEG employs individuals.
Need to request an accommodation?
If you have a disability and need assistance submitting your resume, applying for a position or registering for a test, please call 973-430-3845. Any information provided regarding a disability will be kept strictly confidential and will not be shared with anyone involved hiring decision
Keywords: PSEG, Hicksville , Wide Area Network Engineer, Engineering , Hicksville, New York
Didn't find what you're looking for? Search again!