Senior Analytics Software Engineer
Company: National Grid
Posted on: February 23, 2021
About us: Every day we deliver safe and secure energy to homes,
communities, and businesses. We are there when people need us the
most. We connect people to the energy they need for the lives they
live. The pace of change in society and our industry is
accelerating and our expertise and track record puts us in an
unparalleled position to shape the sustainable future of our
industry.To be successful we must anticipate the needs of our
customers, reducing the cost of energy delivery today and
pioneering the flexible energy systems of tomorrow. This requires
us to deliver on our promises and always look for new opportunities
to grow, both ourselves and our business.National Grid is Hiring a
Senior Analytics Software Engineer in our Hicksville, NY location.
Job Purpose: The Analytics Software Engineer is responsible for
collaborating with the different stakeholders within the Advanced
Data & Analytics (ADA) team to design, develop, and test production
level software to meet the advanced analytical business need.
He/she will need to able to build application programming
interfaces, integrate software with databases, program in an
object-oriented manner, and package software for reusability by
other software components. Development is expected to be cloud
ready, taking full advantage of cloud services and tools that are
necessary in the functional realm of advanced big data and
analytics.The incumbent is expected to have breadth and depth
knowledge of Programming / Software Development, Data Architecture,
and Data Engineering. Incumbents should be prepared to work in a
highly multi-tasked environment with rapidly changing business
priorities. Ability to work cross functionally and in an Agile Team
setting are a must. Key Accountabilities:
- Design, develop, and test software in the advanced analytical
and big data discipline.
- Collaborate with the Quantitative Analysts, Data Scientists,
Data Engineers and IS Operations team to enable the packaging,
optimization and documentation of software to deploy it in
- Be able to troubleshoot/debug major issues as needed.
- Work with the ADA team members and be able to anticipate future
- Be able to understand the business requirements that are
requested in a project and translate them into technical specs and
deliver actionable and scalable software solutions
- Be able to facilitate discussions based on varying levels of
technical expertise of the audience.
- Develop set of guiding principles and best practices to enable
Analytical model developers who uses advanced analytics techniques
(Classical Statistics, AI, Machine Learning algorithms) in
developing production ready code.
- Set the standard for managing source code in adopting version
control best practices.
- Being able to adapt to the changing priorities in the business
and demonstrate flexibility in working on developing and supporting
different software components. Qualifications:
- Minimum bachelor's degree in engineering, mathematics, applied
computer science, applied management science or operations
- Master's degree in a computer science discipline is strongly
preferred, with a background in computer programming and/or a
minimum of 3-5 years' experience in advanced data processing and
software development is desired.
- Minimum of 2 years of Spark, Java and Python development
experience, SQL, NoSQL, and data warehousing concepts, RDBMS and
designing and developing cloud-based object-oriented software
- Skilled knowledge in Programming / Software Development
- Knowledge of Data Architecture, and Data Engineering
- Knowledge of networks and firewalls
- Understanding as to how advanced analytical models (Artificial
Intelligence, Machine Learning, etc), tools and analyses work.
- Ability to write code in one or more scripting languages:
spark, R, Python, Ruby, Java, C++
- Ability to work in a highly multi-tasked environment with
rapidly changing business priorities.
- Ability to work cross functionally and in an Agile Team setting
are a must.
- Has in-depth experience working with SQL Databases (Oracle,
- Capable of working with:Non-SQL Databases (Hadoop, MongoDB,
Cassandra) and Geospatial DatabasesImage DatabasesSnowflake Data
WarehouseETL - Pentaho, Kettle, SSISAWS (Amazon Web Service) -
Infrastructure Deployment & Multi-thread Programming,Cloud
administration, IAM, VPC, EC2, RDS, EMR, S3, EBS, ELBDistributed
Process Management - Elastic MapReduce (EMR), SPARK More
Information: This position has a career path which provides for
advancement opportunities within and across bands as you develop
and evolve in the position; gaining experience, expertise and
acquiring and applying technical skills. Internal candidates will
be assessed and provided offers against the minimum qualifications
of this role and their individual experience. National Grid is an
equal opportunity employer that values a broad diversity of talent,
knowledge, experience and expertise. We foster a culture of
inclusion that drives employee engagement to deliver superior
performance to the communities we serve. National Grid is proud to
be an affirmative action employer. We encourage minorities, women,
individuals with disabilities and protected veterans to join the
National Grid team. - provided by Dice
Keywords: National Grid, Hicksville , Senior Analytics Software Engineer, IT / Software / Systems , Hicksville, New York
Didn't find what you're looking for? Search again!