Lead Data Scientist, Short term Forecasting
Company: NATIONAL GRID CO USA (NE POWER)
Posted on: June 25, 2022
As part of National Grid's continued commitment to safety, all
new hires must be fully vaccinated against COVID-19. Anyone unable
to be vaccinated, either because of a sincerely held religious
belief or medical reason can request a reasonable
accommodation.About usEvery day we deliver safe and secure energy
to homes, communities, and businesses. We are there when people
need us the most. We connect people to the energy they need for the
lives they live. The pace of change in society and our industry is
accelerating and our expertise and track record puts us in an
unparalleled position to shape the sustainable future of our
industry.To be successful we must anticipate the needs of our
customers, reducing the cost of energy delivery today and
pioneering the flexible energy systems of tomorrow. This requires
us to deliver on our promises and always look for new opportunities
to grow, both ourselves and our business.National Grid is hiring a
Lead Data Scientist of Short term Forecasting. This position can be
based out of Waltham, MA or Hicksville, NY office.Job PurposeThe
Load Forecasting & Analytics team produces electric and gas load
forecasts for National Grid. As a Lead Data Scientist you will
develop short term gas & electric load forecasts and contribute to
numerous other gas & electric load forecasting projects supporting
our electric, gas and distributed resource teams. You will support
internal stakeholders including Supply, Engineering, Control
Centers, Strategy and others. You will ensure that the forecasts
incorporate new distributed energy resources, technologies, and
- Develop and implement short-term load forecast models and
processes. Perform analysis relating to the forecast as necessary.
Enable processes to be integrated with daily control center
operations and supply procurement.
- Develop short-term forecasts at both the system level and more
granular areas including electric feeders and gas regulator
- Short-term forecasting using machine learning, regression
analysis and neural nets
- The position of Lead requires the ability to work independently
with minimal guidance and communicate to both internal and external
stakeholders to present and defend results. The ability to speak to
both technical and non-technical persons to present projects is
- Ensure the forecasts properly account for distributed energy
resources (DERs) and new technologies and policies (e.g. solar,
demand response, storage, electrification of heat, moratoriums,
- Support other load forecasting teams - long-term electric &
gas, data and DERs - on ad hoc and other projects as needed.
- Implement process improvement and best practices; and remain
abreast of changing technologies and industry best practices in
order to provide a service that is fit for purpose.
- Update forecast processes and documentation to ensure they are
efficient, reviewable, and reliable.
- Provide expert testimony before regulators and defend the
forecasts. Respond to data requests from regulatory bodies for rate
cases and other proceedings.
- Collaborate with internal stakeholders (including supply,
engineering, control centers, strategy) regarding forecast
methodology and analysis and ensure our deliverables meet their
- Stay current in all policies, regulatory requirements, market
trends, and industry standards regarding customer energy use and
technologies and programs impacting that use, such as energy
efficiency and demand response.
Supervisory/Interpersonal- Experience Required
- Effective communication skills including the ability to make
persuasive presentations to small and large audiences.
- Track record of developing working relationships quickly and
effectively both internally and externally.
- Experience in communicating both internally and externally to
- Ability to speak effectively to both technical and
- A Bachelor's degree (Master's preferred) in statistics, applied
analytics, engineering or related quantitatively rigorous
- 5 or more years of relevant energy industry experience in a
regulated setting with direct interaction with regulators is
- Demonstrated experience with econometric or statistical
forecasting or modelling required. Knowledge in time series,
regression, machine learning, or neural networks used for
forecasting is required. Experience in energy load forecasting
- Good understanding of industry operations and the regulatory
environment is preferred. Knowledge specific to National Grid is a
- Experience forecasting short and/or long-term impacts of
weather and distributed resources on loads is preferred.
- Strong written and verbal communication skills including the
ability to testify before regulators and respond to regulatory data
requests. Ability to explain complex technical concepts to
- Python experience is required. Expertise in statistical
programming software such as R or SAS preferred. Advanced SQL
skills preferred. Knowledge in integrating short-term forecasting
processes into company day-to-day operational and IT systems is a
- Advanced Excel skills required.
More InformationThis position has a career path which provides for
advancement opportunities within and across bands as you develop
and evolve in the position; gaining experience, expertise and
acquiring and applying technical skills. Candidates will be
assessed and provided offers against the minimum qualifications of
this role and their individual experience.
National Grid is an equal opportunity employer that values a broad
diversity of talent, knowledge, experience and expertise. We foster
a culture of inclusion that drives employee engagement to deliver
superior performance to the communities we serve. National Grid is
proud to be an affirmative action employer. We encourage
minorities, women, individuals with disabilities and protected
veterans to join the National Grid team.
Keywords: NATIONAL GRID CO USA (NE POWER), Hicksville , Lead Data Scientist, Short term Forecasting, Other , Hicksville, New York
Didn't find what you're looking for? Search again!